Statistical release: Niue Vital Statistics Report, 2012-2016
This report is the second demographic report on vital statistics and causes of death in Niue from 2012 – 2016. The data for this report were provided by records kept by the Ministry of Health, the Civil Registration Office, and the National Statistics Office.
The main purpose of this report is to make available the vital statistics for Niue , as derived from locally collected data.
As recommended in the first vital statistics report, this report includes the analysis of baby’s birth weight, maternal mortality, and natural and non-natural causes of deaths.
- For the period 2012-2016, Niue had a total of 131 births and 49 deaths.
- The crude birth rate for the 2012-2016 period was 17.2 births per 1,000 population and the crude death rate was 6.4 deaths per 1,000 population.
- The total fertility rate is estimated to be 2.7 births per woman.
- Life expectancy for men is estimated to be 72 years and 76 years for women.
- Leading causes of deaths for those under the age of 5 is perinatal conditions, between the ages of 15 – 59 was external causes, and those 60 years and over was heart diseases.
A summary of the report is shown below: